The number of people who think so is huge, and growing quickly
Here's another thing the Western media isn't reporting.
Stalin is seen by huge numbers of Russians as a hero, including many top intellectuals and political leaders. Their reasoning is too complex to go into here. We'll try to address this is a future article. But trust us, it's a very main-stream opinion. Off-hand guess: - maybe half of Russians believe this...
For now - here is a photo we came across of a billboard in Tatarstan, which is in central Russia. It says:
- He destroyed the "Fifth Column". (In Russian political discourse, the "Fifth Column" is a broad term for liberals, people sympathetic to Western ideas, people who consciously or unconsciously undermine the Russian government, traitors. It is a term heard frequently today to describe liberals and people opposed to Putin.)
- Under his leadership we were victorious against Nazi Germany, freed Europe, and rebuilt Russia from complete ruin.
- He protected our culture with the iron curtain.
- Under him, study and sport were respected.
- Under him, there was no corruption.
- Under him, we were the most respected nation and people on the earth.
- He made Russia into a super-power.