Before and After: The Amazing Restoration of Russia's Churches and Cultural Heritage

The ruined churches that were painful to look at only recently now bloom with incredible beauty thanks to many years of hard restoration work

Fri, May 27, 2016 | 1888 Comments

Try and estimate the results of this work of nine of the most important houses of worship of the Russian Orthodox Church, the cultural heritage sites which underwent a complex of restoration works. Compare what they looked like back then to what they look like now.

The Cathedral of the Life-Giving Trinity of Holy Prince Vladimir Monastery in Filimonki

The Ministry of Culture has been financing the restoration works since 2007. On May 29, 2015, His Holiness made the Great Consecration of the church. Over this period, 169.1 million rubles was spent. The restoration of brickwork, dome drum, white-stone decorations, roofing works, the restoration of façade, doorstep, metal parts, the restoration of the floor and interiors of the church was carried out.

Before the restoration:

After the restoration:

The Don Нost Cathedral of the Ascension – the shrine of heroes of the Patriotic War 1812

Here lie the heroes of the Patriotic War: Platov Mathew Ivanovich (1753-1818), Orlov-Denisov Vasily Vasilyevich (1755-1843), Efremov Ivan Efremovich (1774-1843)

The Rostov Region, the town of Novocherkassk, Ermak sq., bl. 2

The Ministry of Culture has been financing the restoration works since 2007. On October 14, 2015, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill made the Great Consecration of the church after the major restoration works of the upper church, mural painting and iconostasis was finished. More than 1 billion rubles was spent between 2007 and 2015.

Before the restoration:

After the restoration:

The Holy Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra

The Moscow Region, town of Sergiyev Prasad.

The massive restoration has been carried out since 2012 as part of preparations to celebrate the 700th anniversary of St. Sergius of Radonezh. Between 2012 and 2015 more than 4 billion rubles was spent on the complex restoration works (the restoration of facades, roof, ambulatories, paintings, iconostases).

The Ascension Cathedral of Jerusalem Stavropegic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

The Moscow Region, Leninsky District, the settlement of Lukino.

The Ministry of Culture has been financing the restoration works since 2010. On December 19, 2015, there was the Great Consecration of the church by Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill. Between 2010 and 2015, 79.2 million rubles was spent. The foundation, roof of facades, pedestal, iconostasis, interior decoration were restored.  

Before the restoration:

After the restoration:

Nikolo-Berlyuki Bell Tower

The Moscow Region, Noginsky District.  

The Ministry of Culture has been financing the restoration works since 2013. The consecration of the church took place on November 22, 2015. From 2013 to 2015, 118.5 million rubles was allocated. The facades and bell tower interiors, hinge of bells, staircase, and gates were restored. The works on the paving of the gate arc covering were conducted.

Before the restoration:

After the restoration:

The Church of Joy of All Who Sorrow of Dalmatov Monastery

The Kurgan Region.

The Ministry of Culture has been financing the restoration works from 2007 to 2014 and allocated a total amount of 60.1 million rubles. A complete complex of restoration works was carried out: the restoration of the roof, foundations, facades, interiors, window and door furniture, metal constructions and parts.

Before the restoration:

After the restoration:

The Cheremenetsky Monastery of St. John the Theologian

The Leningrad Region.

The Ministry of Culture financed the restoration works between 2008 to 2015, allocating in total 151.5 million rubles. The restoration was completed in 2015. A complete complex of restoration works was conducted: the restoration of foundations, facades, wooden constructions and parts, brickwork, roof, window and door furniture, interiors.

Before the restoration:

After the restoration:

The Vladimirskaya Church, 1799

The Lipetsk Region, Dankovsky District, the village of Balovnevo.  

The Ministry of Culture has been financing the restoration works since 2007. The restoration was completed in 2015. Between 2007 to 2015, 315.1 million rubles was allocated. Emergency and restoration works were carried out on the façades, interiors, window and door furniture, adjustment of engineering systems and electrical equipment.

Before the restoration:

After the restoration:

The Church of Three Saints

The Kurgan Region, the Shumikhinsky District, the village of Karachelskoye.

The Ministry of Culture has been financing the restoration works since 2013. The restoration was finished in 2015. Between 2013 to 2015, 61 million rubles was allocated. A complete complex of restoration works was carried out: the restoration of foundations, roof, facades, interiors, metal constructions and parts, window and door furniture, iconostases.

The information is provided by the Department of Cultural Heritage Sites Restoration of the Department of Property Management and Investment Policy of the Ministry of Culture of Russia.

Before the restoration:

In progress:

After the restoration:


Anyone is free to republish, copy, and redistribute the text in this content (but not the images or videos) in any medium or format, with the right to remix, transform, and build upon it, even commercially, as long as they provide a backlink and credit to Russia Insider. It is not necessary to notify Russia Insider. Licensed Creative Commons.
advertisement

Click here for our commenting guidelines